CAMPING HACKS: Tips to Make Sure You are a HAPPY CAMPER
- Posted on
- By Anna Duncan
Tips to Make Sure You are a HAPPY CAMPER
1. STAY “DWF”--Dry, Warm, and Fed: Just like a newborn or an infant, you want to be dry, warm (enough), and fed while camping. Packing the right clothes is the first step in a great direction for this. Pack layers--especially in the summer! It could be 80 or plus degrees during the day but when the sun goes down it’s a totally different story (I mentioned this in my hiking tips article)! Here are two of my favorite Green 3 options to bring as layers when camping. I love our poncho for hanging out by the fire at night and my hands are always cold so I love our handwarmers. Check out my two favorites in the gallery at the end of the article!
2. Beat the Bugs: Now that it’s getting colder (at least over here in the Midwest) we don’t have to worry about bugs too much but I always pack bug spray. I also always, always, always pack an anti-itch remedy because no matter how much bug spray I have on, I always get bit! I have been into more holistic anti-itch remedies and discovered peppermint essential oil works wonders! My bug bites usually swell up and turn into huge welts--I used peppermint oil an hour after I got bit and it took the itch away and the swelling went way down. Lavender essential oil works well too! (My favorite brand is Aura Cacia.)
3. Cosmetic Bag Must-Haves: I pack as lightly as possible for camping trips. I love the organic cotton cosmetic bag we sell in the store (it’s only $4.99!) and if it doesn’t fit in that bag--it’s not coming with me! Here’s a list of the essentials I pack!
4. Pre-plan All Your Meals: This goes along with tip number 1--stay fed. It’s awful to be super hungry only to fight about what’s for dinner around the campfire. I pre-plan all my meals when I’m camping. I also measure out all the ingredients at home before I go. Packing only the amount you need for a recipe saves precious space!
5. Pack Clothes You Can Wear More Than Once: Camping isn’t a fashion show, it’s more about functionality than style. I like packing clothes that I can wear more than once, especially on long trips. Sometimes this means I’ll pack darker colors or our reversible options. I love our reversible print leggings and skirts. Wear one side one day, then flip it inside out the next!